There are many options available when setting up your media centre, but little are as impressive as the Plex Media Server.
Plex runs on EVERYTHING, that’s the beauty of it. You can run it on an old laptop, or NAS or pretty much any PC and OS you can think of. In addition to that, the interface is top class across all platforms.
How it Works
Setup Plex Media Server
This process is pretty easy, you can tell it where you keep your media files and it will automatically scan them, categorise them and download the artwork / theme music. This is the core of Plex. As the name says, this is the server where all the media will be served from to the various devices.
Setup Your Devices
The best thing about Plex is that you can connect multiple devices at the same time. You can setup multiple users and share different content with different users. Why is this important? Well, when you’re able to do this and categorise your content you can easily setup child accounts so that only specific content is visible to them.
Why Plex is the Best
- With Plex you can jump between devices and continue from the same place you left off! Start watching on your TV and finish up on your laptop, tablet or cellphone.
- Even with a free account you can setup and link multiple profiles to share your content. Why is that cool?
You can have an account each family member and Plex will track what each of you are watching individually. Tailoring the interface to bring up what you want to watch, with the latest episode you’re on.
- Those are the 2 main features that stick out in my mind, however there are loads of other features that plex is great at.
I use the following setup to automate the whole process of downloading new content, managing what I’m watching.
- HP Micro Server (AMD)
- Windows 10 x64
- 4Gb Ram
- 1 x 120Gb SSD (OS Drive)
- 3 x 2Tb Hard Drives
- ATI Radeon Pro 9600 with HDMI (Connected directly to my main TV, 2 birds with 1 stone!)
- Logitech K830 – Illuminated Living Room Keyboard with built-in track pad.
- Plex Media Server (To serve the content)
- Plex Media Player (Netflix / Hulu style interface specifcially designed for big screen TV’s)
- Sonarr – Automatically monitors the Shows and downloads them when they’re available on the platform you set. You can choose either to use Torrent or News Servers.
- Transmission Torrent Client for Windows, if configured correctly you can fully automate additions and removal of torrent files.
- Sickbeard for NZB’s and Usenetserver for the News Server.